Coconut Oil for Healthy, Happy Pets – Why it’s Good and How to Use

Coconut Oil for Healthy, Happy Pets - Why it's Good and How to Use Follow Me on Pinterest

Burton (L) and Willow (R) stay healthy, happy, and energized with coconut oil!

Do you feed your pets coconut oil? If so, awesome! If not, you should! If coconut oil is good for us, then it’s good for our pets too!

You all know about my love affair with coconut oil. I can’t get enough of the stuff! Read my post called “Coconut Oil – Why Is It So Wonderful?” and you’ll see why I love it.

Also, many of you have probably seen my posts called “52 Uses for Coconut Oil – The Simple, The Strange, and The Downright Odd!” and “122 Uses for Coconut Oil – Even More of the Simple, the Strange, and the Downright Odd“. Who knew there were so many ways to use one, single product?!

But, back to our furry friends.

We have two pooches (see the picture above).  Burton is a cattle dog / corgi mix, and Willow is a cattle dog / who-knows-what mix. They both get coconut oil daily with their dinner and they think coconut oil is the best thing since sliced bread!

In addition to adding coconut oil to their food, we also use it on my dogs in other ways. I massage coconut oil into the pads of their feet, since we live in the city and walk many miles a week on concrete and asphalt. Willow, who is a tomboy of a dog, loves to rough and tumble with my brother’s dogs up in the mountains, so she gets all sorts of cuts and scrapes on her stomach. I’ll put a little coconut oil on her skin after gently cleaning them with mild soap and water. On a side note, the soap from Tropical Traditions (affiliate link) is a great, gentle soap safe for the whole family. It only has one ingredient and is gentle on the skin.

The coconut oil that I use is from my affiliate partner, Tropical Traditions. Depending on what I have on hand, they either get TT’s Pure Coconut Oil, which is a high-quality, expeller-pressed (EP) coconut oil, or they get TT’s Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil.

Why Is Coconut Oil Good For Your Pets?

Just like humans, dogs can also glean benefit from regular consumption of coconut oil. Now, due to the FTC and FDA laws governing what you can and can’t say about the health benefits of coconut oil, I’m not going to list any specific benefits here. Traditionally, those laws govern humans, but since many of us consider our pets “humans”, and I am referring to human-grade coconut oil products, I’m going to err on the side of caution and not list anything specific.

For a list on how dogs can benefit from coconut oil, check out this post from Dogs Naturally Magazine. We can personally attest that since we started feeding our dogs coconut oil, we have noticed less of that stinky doggie breath and they both seem to have more energy. Also, one of our dogs has a bad back leg and he seems to be a lot less stiff since incorporating coconut oil into his diet. Is it the coconut oil that’s helping? Who knows, but it’s certainly not hurting!

If you want to hear more about what benefits our pets can get from coconut oil, check out what this veterinarian, Dr. Karen Becker, has to say about the subject. The information about the gall bladder and pancreas is very interesting! I’m assuming that if that is true for pets, it would be true for humans too?

If you’re looking for even more reason to feed your pets coconut oil, check out this video from a professional groomer who uses coconut oil on her pets and 4-legged customers.

The Proper Way to Feed Your Pets Coconut Oil

Now, you don’t want just start dumping a big glob of coconut oil into your pets food, especially if they’re new to it. There is a proper way to feed your pets, as explained in this article from CoconutOil.com. You want to start small and increase the dose slowly. Introducing too much, too fast, can lead to loose bowels and we all know that’s no fun!

So, start small, by giving small pets, puppies, or kittens about a 1/4 of a teaspoon and then increasing over time. With larger pets, you can start them with a teaspoon and gradually work your way up. Some pets will love it right off the bat, others need a little coaxing. Dr. Becker recommends 1 teaspoon for each 10-20 pounds of body weight of your pet. Burton is 26 pounds and gets around a tablespoon with each meal, while Willow is 53 pounds and gets around 1.5 – 2 tablespoons. Our dogs loved it from the start, but I have had people tell me that their pets didn’t like it at first, so you might have to get them used to eating it.

Also, dogs and cats aren’t the only pets who can eat coconut oil. I’ve had people tell me that they feed it to their horses, cows, goats, and other animals!

So, tell me, do you feed your pets coconut oil? Have you noticed any differences in their health since introducing it? I would love to hear from you, so leave me a comment below!

1. Thanks for the post! I’ve been feeding my older dog her supplements by whizzing them into a powder and mixing with butter. I’m going to try coconut oil instead!

Anne
    Posted 06/06/12

• I’m sure she’d enjoy that! Maybe it would give her a little more pep in her step! :)

Posted 06/06/12

2. So glad to see this information getting out about coconut oil for dogs. This is fantastic stuff. I started using this about 4 months ago for Jake, my 10 year old, 15 lb poodle. He developed a full body yeast infection after taking antibiotics and prednisone. I changed his diet to a no grain dog food and added coconut oil, 1 teaspoon per day, to his food. I also use it on his body every day, straight from the jar. This helps so much with the itching and encourages the yeast die off to help him heal inside and out. Make sure to get all the creases and folds, pads on the feet and let a bit melt into the ears before they shake their head. His energy level is up and he is bouncing down the steps! And best of all, he can get a restful night’s sleep to continue his recovery. It may take a few more months to get rid of the yeast completely, but he will healthier for it inside and out. Do your research and adjust for your pets. You know them the best.

I have 3 other poodles and they all get coconut oil in their food every morning. Fights have been known to break out trying to get to the oil! This is also giving me the tools to deal with Scarlett’s itchy ears naturally. She is 14 months and I hope to save her the years of scratching that Jake had when the vets didn’t know what was the cause. My research for the dogs is what got me started taking coconut oil daily. Discovering coconut oil has been the little miracle I needed to get Jake back on his feet and keep the rest of the ” furry family” in awesome health.

Denise
    Posted 06/06/12

• Thank you for sharing your experience! Sounds like it was a good addition to their diet! I read somewhere that you can gently massage a little CO into the insides of their ears to help with infections, mites, etc. I haven’t done that, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. Just as long as you didn’t use too much. I bet if I did that, my dogs would spend the next few days licking one another’s ears! :)

Posted 06/06/12

• Do u spray the coconut oil on the dog. Or do you bath the dog with the
      Coconut oil?

Ellen Johnson
      Posted 06/07/13

• Hi Ellen – I feed the coconut oil to my dogs. If they have sore paws or get a cut, scrape, hot spot, etc., then I will put coconut oil directly on that area, but most of the time, I am just feeding it to them with their meals. Hope that helps!

Posted 06/09/13

• Wow! Thank you for this! What timing!
      My little yorkie, Lexi, has developed a yeasty type fungal skin condition, what we call “dew poisoning”. She recently finished a round of antibiotics and prednisone too, along with getting a bath with medicated shampoo. This treatment worked, but a month later, it’s coming back. I’ve been searching for a natural way to treat/prevent her condition. She also has luxating patellas, and although this doesn’t seem to cause her discomfort, she’ll be 10 this spring and I think coconut oil will help with this too. We’re starting today!
      Thank you!!

Lorraine
      Posted 11/18/13

• Hi Lorraine – Thanks for stopping by! I hope this helps your little girl!!! :)

Posted 11/18/13

• If your dog is scratching its’ ears that is a sure sign of a food allergy. At least that’s how we diagnosed my dog’s food allergy. Within hours of eating corn he’ll starting scratching at his ears. No corn, no scratching. Sometimes he likes to steal the cat food that contains corn. I know when he’s done it because that same day one ear will be flopped over and he’ll be sticking his back foot it in. Only takes a day or two to right itself. I give coconut oil to both my dogs. Had stopped for a while, but am back again because one of them as severe allergies to everything known to man. Hoping in time with the coconut oil he’ll stop the scratching and cat get off the prescription medications.

Patsy
      Posted 05/23/14

• Not always, my dog scratched his ears a lot they were dry and flaky, come to find the vet said he was getting sun burn on them cause he is a Chihuahua and banks in the sun a lot with those big ears being so thin and fair they burn easily.

Christina Coleman
        Posted 08/22/14

3. Great info! I have 2 questions. :) The Veterinarian in the first video says you can feed coconut oil to your reptiles?? I have a Red Slider turtle who cold really benefit from an added boost of health. Does anyone have any info on this? And, I understand you can pour coconut oil directly on your dog’s fur, but then aren’t they just greasy and licking their fur for a really long time?

Thanks!
    Becca

Becca
    Posted 06/06/12

• The coconut oil absorbs slowly, but really well into the skin. I put extra on the front paws so he has something to lick while the rest of the body has time to take it in. They are a bit oily, but not as much as you think. The problem is the other dogs licking him at the same time. It’s worth the extra effort.

Denise
      Posted 06/06/12

• I have that same problem with my dogs. One will try to lick all of the CO off of the other. And, when I put it on their pads, they spend the next half hour licking their feet. Hopefully some of it gets to soak in before it gets licked off! :) Silly puppies!

Posted 06/06/12

• You know, I have never met anyone who said they feed it to their reptiles, but the vet did say you could. I’ll let you know if I discover anything on this!

Posted 06/06/12

4. I just started feeding my dogs and cats coconut oil this week. My dogs can’t lick it up fast enough they love it!! My cats are okay with it. My poodle has bad teeth and breath so I will let you know if it helps!! :)

Colleen
    Posted 06/06/12

• Awesome! I hope it does. I can’t say their breath is wonderful to smell, but it’s definitely more pleasant than it was before and it’s not quite so off-putting when they come get in your face for attention :)

Posted 06/06/12

5. I started using coconut oil for myself and my dog was always going crazy over the smell so I did some research and found out all the wonderful benefits for animals and started putting it in his food and massaging it into his skin. It has helped his digestion and dry skin immensely. I prefer the virgin organic coconut oil from pet natural ways.

Martin
    Posted 06/08/12

6. I started using CO about a month ago for my two dogs. I took one to the vet in March for a lump that I noticed a few months back. The vet said it was a wart and was fine. After a week of eating the coconut oil I looked for the wart and it looked strange, I touched it and realized it was soft and I was able to take it right off! It was falling off of her and just stuck in her hair. I was so surprised that after only a week it could do that. So the pups eat CO every day and I do notice a pep in their step as well as shiny hair. I love coconut oil!!

Alicia
    Posted 06/12/12

7. i love coconut oil and coconut water but i want to use it on my fur kid but!!! why i haven’t is my little 2 1/2 lb chi has IMHA the immune system is surpressed by meds and coconut oil build’s it…it was triggered by the yearly shots. this is bad news even the most healthy of pets can get IMHA. DOES ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW ABOUT THIS and use of cocnut oil for such fur children? thank you

lynn
    Posted 09/08/12

• I know I’m seeing this post about 7 months late, but I had the same thing happen to my 8 mo. old beagle mix. How is your dog doing? Please contact Dr. Jean Dodd through The Healthy Pet Project (you can find this on Facebook)or at hemopet@hotmail.com. She’s an expert on this. DO NOT allow your dog to be vaccinated ever again.

Evelyn
      Posted 04/15/13

8. Hi!
    I am using virgin coconut oil to our dog… We had a problem on her skin before it was flaky and she lost hair on her neck. We tried different kinds of shampoo and soap but nothing cures it. Then, I thought of the coconut oil so I searched about it and found out that it is good for the animals too. Since then, I started putting it on her hair/skin before giving her a bath sometimes letting her to drink it and mixing it with her dinner. Now, the hair on her neck started to grow and her skin never been dry and flaky anymore… Thanks

cherry ann
    Posted 09/18/12

9. I started giving my dog some CO, and he loves it, my cat will lick a little bit off the spoon as well but they are generally healthy, so I haven’t notice any changes, but my daughter has a rat and she’s been telling me that he has been sneezing, even after she changed the type of bedding, I suggested to give her little friend some CO, he absolutely loves it! She gives him a tiny bit everyday and he has improved! So rats you can add rats to list of furry friends who can benefit from Coconut Oil!

Grace G
    Posted 09/25/12

• Good to know! My rat’s wheel was squeaking and when I saw your comment about your rat improving and not having adverse effects, I grabbed some coconut oil from the kitchen right away! Took away the squeaking and she also started licking it up haha

Brittany N.
      Posted 09/04/14

10. Hi, new to the world of CO. So here is my question. What is the difference in CO types? Why a special pets CO? Is it different? I bought the Lou Ann CO at my grocery store. Is it good? Help?

Pat
    Posted 10/04/12

• Hi Pat – Thanks for stopping by. There are different types – virgin and refined. Virgin will retain the taste and scent of coconuts, while refined will have a neutral taste. I use both in my house for various things. If you buy refined, make sure you know how it is processed, as sometimes companies use bleach and other solvents during processing. :)

Posted 01/09/13

• So virgin is better than refine CO. Can people take it also, if so how much do people take?

katie
        Posted 07/09/13

• Hi Katie – Virgin and refined coconut oils are both great. The only think to keep in mind is that with refined coconut oils, you want to make sure the company does not use any chemical refining processes. May companies use bleaches, solvents, etc. I buy my refined coconut oil from Tropical Traditions because I trust their process and they use no chemicals, bleaches, etc. This article specifically discusses the health benefits of coconut oil and how much expert recommend taking: http://www.deliciousobsessions.com/2010/11/coconut-oil-one-of-the-best-foods-you-could-eat. Have a great day!

Posted 07/10/13

• How about the oganic VCO at Trader Joes?

jacksson
            Posted 07/10/13

• Hi Jacksson – Any coconut oil would be fine, as long as it has not been processed with any bleaches, chemicals, or solvents. You shouldn’t have to worry about that with virgin oils, but do be selective of what brand of refined coconut oil you purchase. Hope your pets enjoy! :)

Posted 07/11/13

11. Our wiemeriener has horrible allergies and very red skin. We just started giving him coconut oil in his food and rubbing it on his ears. It’s only been a day but he isnt scratching as much!

emily
    Posted 10/13/12

12. My kitty Matty, 13 yrs old, was urinating blood. I was scared to death that I would lose her. I did some research and found that it was symptomatic of a bacterial infection. She was her usual self (eating fine, playing, etc.) and didn’t seem to be in any pain. I had been researching coconut oil for my own use and thought I would try it on her. I would just squirt some in her mouth a couple times a day. After about 2 days, there was no more blood! That was over a year ago and she’s been going strong ever since. I love coconut oil!!

Dee Dee
    Posted 10/20/12

• So happy to hear about your cat’s recovery! Thank you for sharing your story — I know it will be helpful to other pet owners as well! :)

Posted 10/20/12

13. I started putting coconut oil on my dog’s food a couple of months ago. He suffers from allergies, and the coconut oil has helped. It has so many benefits for our pets it is amazing. His breath is great, he is more active, he does not smell, it helps with his yeast problems and he loves the taste. I buy the extra virgin organic that smells like cocnut because that is his favorite. In the long run it is all around good for his digestion, joints and bones, his skin and odor, what more could I ask for.

Wendy
    Posted 11/04/12

• That is great to hear! Thank you for sharing! :)

Posted 11/05/12

14. I give my 2 sibling cats coconut oil almost every day (1/2 to 1 teaspoon per cat) since they were kittens. I discovered this accidentally when my girl cat kept trying to lick organic coconut oil off of me–I use it for cooking and as a skin moisturizer. When she was a wee little kitten she had this gagging cough like she was trying to pass hairballs but as soon as she started licking coconut oil the gagging stopped once and for all and I’ve NEVER seen a hairball from either of my cats-thank God. They’re a little over 1 year old now. The girl still is more crazy about it than the boy and never lets me forget, but they both eat it daily. I’ve also seen improvement in their coat-softer and shinier. I also feed my cats raw &canned diet mix and try to go as high meat % and grain-free as I can afford and I definitely avoid dry foods-those cause UTI. The raw grain free diet also definitely helps with their skin and coating and definitely helps keep them normal weighted. The vet took a while to decide whether they were normal or under weight until she weighed them, then explained she wasn’t used to seeing cats that were NOT overweight. How sad!
    I must mention my cats do discriminate between non-organic and organic coconut oil. Even when they have non-organic CO on their plate, she will come begging me for the organic kind when I’m cooking. They also lick up the organic right away but aren’t nearly as excited about the other one. It may be a helpful tip to try different kinds/brands to find your pets’ favorite, it seems like my cats’ favorite is simply the healthiest kind so I know that’s what I should choose for myself too! :)

PrrMrr
    Posted 12/16/12

• Great testimony! Thanks for stopping by and sharing! :)

Posted 12/16/12

15. Great information about taking care of the animals. We have been feeding CO to our Jackhuahua for some time now and all is well. Historically, when we lived up in the mountains I would use colloidal silver and the cuts, bruises, and even rattlesnake bites of our dogs first and then follow up with CO after the CS dried. Lately, I have gotten into using red light (red led flashlight) to accelerate healing and it really seems to work for me, at least; our dog hasn’t needed any healing lately. So, my healing combination for humans and pets alike is CO, CS and red light.

jacksson
    Posted 12/19/12

• Thanks for stopping by and sharing your experiences! Interesting about the red light. I find that fascinating! :)

Posted 12/19/12

• Google it, kind of hard to find, but there. I told my dentist about it and he informed me that he was using a low power red laser to heal difficult areas to reach in the mouth. Hmmmm . . .

jacksson
        Posted 12/19/12

• Will do! Sounds like it’s worth checking out! :)

Posted 12/19/12

• I also stand by Colloidal Silver for humans and pets. I used it after 2 consecutive major spinal surgeries for UTI on myself and what doctors thought was incurable and would spread to kidneys (they even wanted me to get a colonoscopy), was gone for good w/out needing colonoscopy or kidney treatment. It’s also common for it to repeat itself over yrs if treated with antibiotics, but 7 yrs now and never came back thanks to a lot of CS drinking for a few weeks until it was gone. I also used it along side and after antibiotics on my kitty after surgery (she swallowed a tall thin string :( ) and she healed very quickly w/out any unwanted side effects.
            I too never heard of the red laser light and will check it out. Thanks!

PrrMrr
            Posted 12/20/12

16. I gave it to my 2 westies; the puppy tolerated it fine; the 7 year old threw up and had diarreah about 1/2 hr later….i’m assuming I shouldve given her less than 2 tsps for the first time:(

arlene
    Posted 01/12/13

• Arlene – I am so sorry to hear this! :( Poor doggie! If your dogs are new to coconut oil, it’s always best to start them off slow. My dogs eat a lot of it now, but for a smaller dog, it might be best to start with 1 tsp., or even 1/2 tsp. until their system is used to it. Hope that helps!

Posted 01/13/13

17. Thanks for this post. I’ve recently switched to eating paleo and am even switching dog! No more grains for him and no more store bought treats full of chemicals I can’t pronounce. :) Now I use homemade meatballs for his pill pockets. I make them from grass fed beef. A one pound bag makes about 40 little meat balls (enough for am/pm pills for 3 weeks! That’s about $2 per week, which is what I paid for the store bought treats. So for the same price he gets the benefits of grass fed beef and no more chemicals. Because of this article I’m going to start cooking them in coconut oil or adding it to the mix if I decide to still bake them rather than fry them. I also make his chicken jerky from free range, no hormone/antibiotic chicken breasts. Just boil them, then slice and throw in the dehydrator. He loves them. And no chemicals, grains, legumes, dairy, or sugar. All very paleo. :)

Suzette
    Posted 03/17/13

• Awesome! Thank you for stopping by and sharing those great ideas! :)

Posted 03/17/13

18. Hi Jessica,
    Just found your site wonderful.
    Can you tell me . I used to give Omega Oil a teaspoon added to my dogs meal; now i don’t do that and I am adding 1/2 teaspoon virgin coconut oil as i am just starting with it. My dog is only about 10lbs. But question is is that all the oil that they she would need
    in a day ration,and wouldent have to give any other oil ,except the coconut oil now.

Patricia

patricia
    Posted 03/19/13

• Hi Patricia – Thanks for stopping by! I typically give my dogs their coconut oil with their dinner, but you could spit it up between meals if that is easier. Definitely start small, especially since your pup is so small and they are not used to it. Does that help?

Posted 03/21/13

19. Hi Jessica,
    Thank you for answering and explaing. I feed Fresh home made meals twice a day that I cook myself 6oGrms meat,or,fish,or chicken
    20per cent steamed Veg,and 20per Brown rice,or Pasto,or Sweet potato. I give 1/2 of coconut oil. Is that all the oil that my little dog would need daily. she is 10Ibs.

Patricia

patricia
    Posted 03/22/13

• Hi Patrica – In the article above. Dr. Becker recommends 1 teaspoon for every 10-20 pounds of body weight. You can adjust that to be more or less, depending on how you feel your dog is reacting to it. My dogs both get a couple tablespoons, but they are larger and they have also been eating coconut oil for years.

Posted 03/22/13

20. since I started breeding dogs, I was aware of their coats and health… so i bought books and magazines regarding dog breeding and dog health… i was thinking of what should I feed to these dogs since dog foods are processed and I want to give them the best… I was practicing my “culinary talent” eversince so I went to a page with those dog food recipes… since some of my dogs are choosy in food, instead of using vegetable oil, I decided to use my Virgin Coconut Oil… So I immediately i grabbed my container of Virgin Coconut Oil from my kitchen cabinet… and start baking bite-sized dog cookies… the next day, I ran out of VCO and I call a friend who’s a vet, if she have available VCO for dogs and she suggested me to purchase it from MyOrganicDog…

hannah xie
    Posted 04/05/13

21. I take my own diet very seriously. I include coconut oil in my cats diet, along with growing cat nip and grass indoors all year long for him. He is leaner and happier for the coconut oil. However, like in humans, you must watch for obesity in your pets, as it is high in calories. A much better choice then feeding them all dry food though, thats like a diet of nothing but bread.

chris
    Posted 04/13/13

• Thanks for stopping by! I couldn’t agree more! :)

Posted 04/15/13

22. Hi Jessica,

I was wondering if coconut oil would b good for sugar gliders? If so how much?

Thanks so much and great site!

Blessings
    Deb

Deb
    Posted 05/14/13

• Hi Deb – I am not sure. I am assuming it would, as the vet in this post mentions it for all sorts of pets. I’d check with your own vet just to make sure. Thanks for stopping by! :)

Posted 05/14/13

23. I’ve been giving my dog Kyle flaxseed oil for over a year now. Is coconut oil better than flaxseed oil?

Cathryn
    Posted 05/16/13

• Flaxseed oil and coconut oil have completely different nutritional properties. Both are good, but as far as nutrition, there really is no comparison. I love this post on oils and refer to it often: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/healthy-oils/

Posted 05/16/13

24. Thank you for your reply. I think I shall give Kyle a teaspoon of flaxseed oil in the morning and 2 teaspoons of coconut oil at night. As two or three times a week I add a teaspoon of flaxseed oil to low fat cottage cheese.

Cathryn
    Posted 05/17/13

25. Is it best to stop using fish oil if you want to use the coconut oil?

Virginia
    Posted 07/05/13

• Hi Virginia – Fish oil and coconut oil contain totally different nutrients, so it’s not necessary to stop one if you want to add the other. My dogs get both fish oil and coconut oil with their dinners and they’ve never been healthier!

Posted 07/06/13

26. I want to pay thanks for this great post. I am looking for your next post. Which is the best for my pet dog fish oil or coconut oil??

Natural Dog Food
    Posted 07/16/13

• Fish oil and coconut oils are totally different products, and both are great for dogs. Each will provide their own unique benefits. Hope that helps!

Posted 07/16/13

27. I’m assuming it is ok to just free-fed (via fingertips) instead of in meals? I have an 85 lb GSD and she LOVES it. I’ve just started feeding it to her and give a bit each time we go out for a walk (2-3 times a day) and boy does she look forward to this treat. There has been no adverse reaction at all. It does seem to help with itching in this hot weather/sheding time. And there has been no Funny, I also use it for myself and started putting on the backs of my hands for ‘liverspots’ just before bed. Over she comes and licks it off as a nightly event now. hahaha Now I won’t know if it works for liverspots!

Nancy James
    Posted 07/30/13

• Hi Nancy – Whatever works best for your pooches! My dogs are the same way. Whenever I use coconut oil on my feet or legs, they think it’s an open invitation to come give me a bath. It drives me nuts! :)

Posted 07/30/13

28. I have just started using coconut oil I put some on my dog paws as he is always biting at them and became red raw 2 days have passed he hasn’t touched them. He has problems with his ears, we have ear cleaner & ear drops from the vet next day his ears are all brown again. Can I use it on his ears, and how do I do it. Thanks

Audrey
    Posted 08/09/13

• Hi Audrey – I am happy to hear that about his paws. I have never used coconut oil in my dog’s ears, so I would recommend checking with your vet before doing so, just to make sure it would not create more problems. :)

Posted 08/09/13

• For Audrey–I have a very yeasty dog and I do treat his skin, including ears with equal parts(organic only) apple cider vinegar and water everyday. I use a washcloth that I cut into quarters so most of the solution gets on him. I use a measuring cup to dip his feet. It’s okay if your dog licks this. Once he is fully dry, I rub him down with coconut oil. I put a pea sized amount in his ears and massage it in gently. It helps to move all the gunk out of his ears by the next day. This, in addition to a revamped diet is helping to cure this condition. Good Luck, this yeast is a beast to get under control.

Denise
      Posted 08/10/13

29. Hi Audrey,I would clean your dogs ears with equal parts of Apple cider vinegar,and water and wipe away the brown
    wax with this. i do this all the time .

Patricia

patricia
    Posted 08/10/13

• Thank you I will try that.

Audrey
      Posted 08/10/13

30. hi, my 1 yr old chihuahua has been super sick all day, i was so scared… she had a big glob of clear jelly like mucous along with her poo this morning, and she wouldn’t eat or drink all day, and she was shaking and wanting to go hide somewhere to die… finally i squirted some antacid and some water down her throat and slowly fed her a chewable probiotic tablet, then i got the idea to put coconut oil on my hands and see if she wanted to lick it off, she went NUTS for it and is walking around all chipper now… i did give her alot, and she still wants more, but i don’t want her to get sick from some sort of die off reaction, but yes, thanks for the article :)

Elaine-
    Posted 08/21/13

• Wow! thank you for sharing and I am so glad your pup is feeling better! :)

Posted 08/21/13

• Take your her to the vet. Her body is trying to deal with an infection. My dog was doing the same thing.

Jae Stewart
      Posted 09/12/13

• The jelly like substance is a normal anal gland secretion if it is clear it is healthy and as long as her anal gland are not swollen the vet isn’t necessarily needed if it is thick and dark yellow to brown then a vet would need to clean them. Google anal glad cleaning and it will have tons of info and how to videos on cleaning them. My hiahauhua is 2 1/2 and had started having those kick in around 2 yrs. They can get impacted with greasy treats and or a lot of human food, it then is painful and can burst without proper attention. This is how we found out he had this, call and ask your vet about it if you are concerned they will explain how it works.

Christina Coleman
      Posted 08/22/14

31. Its an amazing article.In this article we can learn how to use the oil for a dog.When we will use it we must check that the oil is original or not.I am agree with you.Thanks for sharing this article!!!

Natural Heartworm
    Posted 08/21/13

32. My 12 yo Standard Poodle loves coconut oil! I usually mix it in her food but she will lick it off the spoon whenever she can. She can still run like the wind and jump over the couch and I think it helps to keep her young.

Linda DeLaura
    Posted 09/24/13

33. i want to let everyone know that i asked if anyone knew if coconut was safe to use with a fur baby that has IMHA. for me i did not use it while my little tiny girl was in treatment as she took azathoprine and predisone daily and a few other meds.but once she was off meds and doing good i use just a tiny lick from my fingers for a few weeks now i give 1/4 teaspoonful a day. she was 7 years old when trigger by her yearly shots now she is 9 years old and is 2 lbs very small chi i was one of the lucky ones my little girl hayley is doing great but will always be watched as your fur baby only goes into remission with this awful disease but for hayley she will always have homecooked meals and yes coconut oil.our first girl lived 20+ years on homemade food and treat’s wish i had known about coconut oil for my golden retriever. who i believe with all my heart lived on love for her last few years. wishing the very best for all fur children and their health.

lynn
    Posted 09/25/13

34. I had a question, I have a 6 week old cocker spaniel and i wanted to start giving him coconut oil do you think he is in a good age or should i wait a couple of months?

Nataly Oviedo
    Posted 12/03/13

• Hi Nataly – I would check with your vet, or perhaps someone in this thread could chime in! Have a great day! :)

Posted 12/04/13

35. Our dog Riley was 1 1/2 years old when we adopted her. The short fur on her back was very coarse and she had flaky dry skin. We put coconut oil in her food every day and her flaky skin is gone and now her fur seems much softer. She has been eating coconut oil for about 6 months now.
    One thing I do notice is she does not seem to tolerate turkey. Puked once the day after Thanksgiving and now shaking her head after having turkey last night. Been reading that some dogs do not tolerate turkey fat. Have to make sure husband is not feeding her turkey fat/skin.

linda
    Posted 12/05/13

36. I eat it and my Kitty and chickens eat it. Im loving all the many ways to use coconut oil. Kitty and chickens love it . Me too :)))

ida works
    Posted 12/23/13

• My chickens love it too! I just put it on a spoon & they all gather around to gobble it up. They think it’s a treat.
      My cats lick it out of a very small bowl that I just keep stirring. My pit bull shivers with anticipation when she see me reach for the jar. I feed it to her off a spoon too. My Yorkie needs more coaxing, he’ll politely take a small lick but isn’t nearly as enthusiastic as the other animals. I just heat it & pour it over his food.
      We feed all the animals high quality food, but I always know I can do more. Coconut oil to the rescue!

Michelle R Scott
      Posted 08/22/14

37. Any difference between Tropical Tradition’s Coconut oil For Pets and any of the other types of coconut oil they carry? (Is it basically the same as non-pet coconut oil they carry?)

Jane
    Posted 12/27/13

• Hi Jane – The coconut oil for pets comes from their Pure Coconut Oil line, which is an expeller-pressed oil.

Posted 12/28/13

38. I have a little Chihuahua who has imha I have alway’s homecooked . I took her as usual for her yearly shots she was then 7 years old she had a very bad reaction to the shots.she started breathing strange and became swollen. the vet tech took her to the back right out of my arms . she just didn’t bounce back 3 day’s latter she seemed on the mend… ate her breakfast. I brushed her teeth as always nice pink gums. then at 3:00 that day she just was laying around. would take a treat and just looked different. I picked Hayley up… I do not know why but looked into her mouth. her gums were snow white. I was running out the door calling her vet told them what was going on. they met me at the door. ran a test her pcv was only 8% . in less than one hour she was getting her transfusion Hayley’s vet typed her I carry a card at all times with her blood type. Hayley was put on predisone,azathoprine,tummy protector and doxcy.she was unable to get up let alone walk and even had to have threaphy for muscle wasting. I still homecooked during this time and gave 24/7 tlc nursing to my sweet little one. as the months went by and the dose of predisone was lowered her muscles returned to normal. and yes part of her diet was coconut oil as I make a mix unrefined and extra virgin. her fur even in treatment was great never dull even on predisone. now my baby will be 10 years old this august.i do not like dog food for my fur babies. foods can heal” if” they are balanced and they get minerals and mico mimerals with right amount of calcium I never ever use grains for my gang. the vet that cares for my dear fur children is the son of the vet who cared for my dear macey that lived over 20+ years that had only homemade food that was way before the 2007 recall.now this vets has me to talk to clients on simple homemade foods as I have the best vet in the world who feels the pets are what they eat.my little imha girl is a picture of health and yes coconut oil is really good for your fur babies my pionus parrot gets it too but ziggy is a lover of all veggies and fruits she gets grains how ever too.alot of peole say no to wheatgerm oild but I love it in the oil mix and fish oil not salmon oil for my gang cod liver oil I do not use because I use organ meats too much vitamin A can be toxic balance is the key and take each food into count for what amounts of vitamins and mineral they have. it may take up to a few months to see a big difference to homecook but the reward is worth it and to hear your vet ask what do you feed? I am a believer in spring water for the pet I took Hayley spring water( I took a gal jug daily) with her homemade food to the vet hospital to feed her while she was being cared for when imha hit . I believe it played a role in her recovery.and if you can’t home cook just add fresh food as a topper . I believe dry food is like us living on potato chips or cracker’s. as kibble tree’s don’t grow in the wild.i love reading how so many pet parents see the results of good healthy foods and supplents are important.

lynn
    Posted 12/31/13

• Lynn – Thanks for taking the time to share your story! So happy your pup survived and has thrived! :)

Posted 12/31/13

39. While it is true that coconut oil is good for cats n dogs. The idea that if its good for humans its good for them is not so true. All the wonderful household herbs that are medicinal in nature like oregano, Cinnamon, mint, lemon balm and about thirty others are quite deadly for cats eaten and topical. So when getting organic and natural remedies for your felines BE extremely Careful. Enough said. I love coconut oil. !!!!

tamaran
    Posted 01/18/14

40. I have a 8 year old Border Terrier who had pancreatitis and wondered would i be able to give him coconut oil? thanks

Angela Page
    Posted 01/31/14

41. We’ve got 2 Chihuahua fur babies. 1 long haired & 1 short. The short haired one has a bald pink belly, lol. It gets so itchy & dry during our -20′ winters. The long haired one has itchy skin as well. We slather it on both of them. Ppl are CONSTANTLY noticing their gleaming coats & asking how I manage their fur. We also feed them about a tsp. Or 2 daily. We don’t use chemical flea treatments anymore because coconut oil works great. I couldn’t fig. Out why they NEVER had a flea between them. I researched it & sure enough coconut oil repels fleas bc of the lactic acid. Trust me they are in the Poconos thinking theyre giant rescue dogs, they should have fleas. I can’t express how happy I am to discover this. From their dry skin,shiny coats, minor cuts,arthritis and everything in between I always try the oil before anything else. It usually works better than I expected!

Tara
    Posted 02/09/14

• Oops! I meant lauric acid will break down fleas exoskeleton! Sorry, stinking auto correct.

Tara
      Posted 02/09/14

42. I started using coconut oil on my legs a year ago and was hooked. The trouble was, my little Pomeranians were hooked too, to licking the oil back off my legs. So I started giving them each a finger full of oil of their very own. They both tend to be constipated on the higher quality dog foods (we use Natural Balance) and immediately we noticed they were both very regular. No more walking in circles to work it out. Over time it became clear my big boy with a very full show coat was no longer itching and flaking which was always a winter battle. And the other pom has black skin disease causing alopecia. A skin test showed a high amount of yeast. The vet prescribed a very toxic shampoo to kill the yeast. One shampoo and she became very lethargic and tipsy for 24 hours. I threw the rest away! I began rubbing coconut oil into her very patchy coat once a week. The patches of very thick, coarse, black skin slowly flaked away and ultra soft, thick patch of white fluff grew in. Trouble is, once that hair grows in you can’t massage oil in any longer. So she is kept clipped very short so she can be oiled and she always has a pretty pink sweater on. But at least her skin is healthy now. I was recently told to try bathing her in apple cider vinegar (does not need to be the unfiltered) and water once a week. Planning to do that today. Run doggy run! She hates abths with a passion, LOL.

Mary O
    Posted 02/10/14

• Thanks for sharing your experience! I’m sure this will be helpful for others as well. I appreciate you stopping by! :)

Posted 02/12/14

43. Does anybody know if VCO is okay to give to pet rats? I have 3.

Shannon Cory
    Posted 03/11/14

44. my maltese dog has fits could you tell me how much coconut oil to give her and do i keep her on her meds she is 8 kg thank you you email would be appreciated

lyn chapman
    Posted 04/11/14

• Hi Lyn – Please read “The Proper Way to Feed Your Pets Coconut Oil” in the article above for info on dosing. I can’t give you any advice regarding medication. I’d consult with your vet on that.

Posted 04/13/14

45. I give my 13 year old diabetic cat coconut oil. Because of his diabetes, he has skin problems. I feed it to him and massage it in to his skin. He’s crazy about it. Acts like he does when I bring out the catnip. I have several other cats too. They all love it. I also use it for oil pulling; cured my bleeding gums and I slather the stuff on my own skin. Love it!

Vickie
    Posted 04/15/14

46. Thor is a 3 1/2 pound 2 yr old Chihuahua and has been in love with coconut oil for most of his life, he is currently licking it off his paws and coat as I use it as an after bath conditioner for flea deterant and eliminator. We live in a rural area of Oregon and could not keep the flees off him, he hasn’t had one since I started this natural method. He also gets it as a treat and when the jar comes out he starts performing every trick he knows with no command needed. He also loves coconut water which seems to eliminate dehydration in summer when we spend all day at the river. He is very healthy and he love coconut. It really makes his coat soft and shiny and flea free.

Christina Coleman
    Posted 08/22/14

47. Hi,
    One of my cats, Gregory, has kidney disease. I have been giving him a small amount of pumpkin (1/4 tsp) daily to help with constipation. The vet didn’t think he was constipated based on how I described him and his poop, but he doesn’t seem to travel around as much before he poops and his poop is firm. The last checkup he had for his kidney disease, the vet said he has early heart disease. Would coconut oil help him at all? If I did give him coconut oil, would giving him the pumpkin also be too much, or would I just have to see how he does with both? I want to do all I can to help him. He eats well.
    Thanks,
    Linda

Linda
    Posted 08/24/14

• Hi Linda – Since I am not a veterinarian, I can’t really offer much advice here. Perhaps some of the other readers can chime in with their experience?

Posted 09/01/14

48. Hi:) I just started feeding organic extra virgin coconut oil to my miniature long-haired daschund because she has been itching and nawing on her skin. I have 2 questions since i am new using coconut oil: How long does it usually take until i start seeing results after feeding her the coconut oil? Does her skin need to be cleaned before massaging the coconut oil into it? Hope to hear from you soon. Take care.

Stephanie
    Posted 10/20/14

• Hi Stephanie – It will vary from pet to pet. I can’t say I noticed an immediate change in my dogs. It was gradual over time as I fed them. I can’t really pinpoint a specific point when I noticed their improvement because it was gradual. I would probably gently clean the skin before applying. Hope that helps! :)

Posted 10/21/14

49. I soften my three dogs’ crunchy food with a bit of hot water (I have two seniors). After I pour out the excess, I take a big spoon of coconut oil and mix it in. It dissolves quickly.

Marvyl
    Posted 10/27/14

50. I happened to spill a lil coconut on the floor and my cats lapped it up… but it was the Spectrum brand refined. I looked up on their site and it is organic refined expellar pressed with no harsh chemicals, non -hydrogenated, etc. I did buy some organic unrefined coconut oil, but go figure they didn’t like that one. They BEG for the refined one so I’ve been giving it to them. Is there any unrefined ones out there with no smell? I doubt it since it’s simply “natural coconut”, as I’d definitely try it… or do you think it’s fine and I can trust the Spectrum’s processing?

MnM
    Posted 11/13/14

• Hi MnM – There are only two types of coconut oil: Virgin (unrefined), which retains the taste and scent of coconuts and Refined, which will be neutral in taste and scent. I have used Spectrum’s brand before, but I normally get all of my coconut oil from Tropical Traditions: http://www.deliciousobsessions.com/TropicalTraditions. I use both their refined and virgin coconut oils, but I use the refined for most of my cooking since the taste is neutral. Thanks for stopping by! :)

Posted 11/13/14

51. My Dob breaks out in boils when I gv her coconut oil. So tried to put it on her topically for the inflammation and she broke out more. She has the same reaction to fish oil. Not sure why this is happening.

Lisa
    Posted 11/22/14

• Hi Lisa – Like humans, pets are unique. Not everything is suitable for everyone (or every pet). I’m so sorry you have experienced negative results with your pup! :(

Posted 11/22/14

52. I have the coconut oil that we all use for cooking and such .. but i also have coconut oil pills that i wonder if that would be ok to feed to my dogs? I have a small and large dog both with allergies .. has anyone tried the pills over the actually oil?? and does anyone use the oil directly on the skin for dry skin or hot spots???

teresa
    Posted 11/26/14

• Hi Teresa – I’ve never used the coconut oil pills because they are not worth the money. In order to get the daily amount of coconut oil (for humans), you would need to consume upwards of 50 capsules per day. The largest softgel one can make is 1000 mg (1 gram). As most people know, the recommended amount of coconut oil to eat each day by many researchers is about 3.5 tablespoons. 1 tablespoon is 14 grams. So to get the equivalent amount of coconut oil that most people are consuming in capsule form, one would need to take about 49 capsules a day (source). It is much more cost effective to just use the regular coconut oil. I have put coconut oil directly on the skin of my dogs before with no problems. But, like humans, all dogs are different! Hope that helps! :)

Posted 11/27/14