Pumpkin Bread Recipe :: Gluten and Grain Free

FTC Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links which means if you make a purchase through one of these links, I may earn a small commission on your sale which allows me to cover a portion of the cost of running the Delicious Obsessions site and free content we provide every week. This has no effect on your price and is simply a cost of doing business from the company you purchase from. I only recommend products or services that I have personally tried and love. You can view it like leaving a tip. Thank you for your support!

Pumpkin Bread Recipe :: Gluten and Grain Free // deliciousobsessions.com Follow Me on Pinterest

Fall and winter means pumpkin season. It’s my favorite time of year!

I love anything and everything pumpkin, but one of my most favorite pumpkin things is pumpkin bread. This recipe was inspired by Elana’s Pantry Paleo Pumpkin Bread.

The bread is very dense, yet very tender. It makes a great, hearty breakfast slathered with pastured butter.

Because it has no gluten, the texture can be a but crumbly if you don’t completely cool the loaf before slicing.

This is a high-fiber, high-protein, low-sugar alternative to store bought pumpkin breads.

Delicious Obsessions Product Recommendations

My affiliate partner, Vitacost, has really good prices on some of the ingredients in this recipe. If you sign up through this link, you’ll get a coupon for $10 off your first purchase from Vitacost, and when your order ships, I’ll get a $10 off coupon for referring you. The cool thing about this program is that you can then refer your family and friends through your own link and YOU can get the $10 coupons too! 🙂

Amazon, of course, has everything you need for this recipe. Their prices are often very good, though I love to shop around and sometimes find that Vitacost and Thrive Market have better deals. If you like saving money, it’s good to shop around! 🙂

In addition, my affiliate partner, Tropical Traditions, is where I get all of my coconut products from and if you make a purchase from them through any of my links, you will receive a free copy of their Virgin Coconut Oil book, and I will receive a discount coupon for referring you.

Mountain Rose Herbs is where I get all of my herbs and spices. Because of their exceptional products and customer service, I am happy to support them as one of my affiliate partners. I have tried many brands of herbs over the years and keep coming back to Mountain Rose.

Jessica is a real food wellness educator and the founder of the Delicious Obsessions website. She has had a life-long passion for food and being in the kitchen is where she is the happiest. She began helping her mother cook and bake around the age of three and she's been in the kitchen ever since, including working in a restaurant in her hometown for almost a decade, where she worked every position before finally becoming the lead chef. Jessica started Delicious Obsessions in 2010 as a way to help share her love for food and cooking. Since then, it has grown into a trusted online resource with a vibrant community of people learning to live healthy, happy lives through real food and natural living.

1. with a delicious recipe like this it wouldn’t be too bad to go GF for a while

Davette Brown
    Posted 12/15/11

• Haha! It’s definitely one of the best GF breads I’ve tried, though I’m sure I’m a little biased 🙂 I hope you enjoy!

Posted 12/17/11

2. Yum! I like pumpkin bread and haven’t tried almond flour or coconut flour before. Would love to sometime!

Steph J.
    Posted 12/15/11

• Hi Steph! Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I’m finding that the bulk of my baking uses coconut and almond flours. I rarely use wheat flour anymore! I hope you get around to making it. It is SO delish! 🙂

Posted 12/17/11

3. Hi Jessica,
    This is a great Pumpkin Bread that we would really enjoy. It looks very moist and packed full of flavor. Have a wonderful week end and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

Miz Helen
    Posted 12/16/11

• Thank you for the feedback Miz Helen!! 🙂

Posted 12/17/11

4. Thanks for the pumpkin recipe. I love pumpkin! I think I’ll add more stevia, or I’ll replace sweetner with Xylitol because it’s not sweet enough for us. I like the texture, though.

PCJAE
    Posted 12/16/11

• Thank you! So glad you liked it! I find that I can never leave a recipe alone. I am a constant tweaker (I guess that sounds kind of bad, huh?) 🙂

Posted 12/17/11

5. Thank you for your submission on Nourishing Treasures’ Make Your Own! Monday link-up.

Check back later tonight when the new link-up is running to see if you were one of the top 3 featured posts! 🙂

6. This sounds delicious! Thank you for sharing your recipe with the Hearth and Soul Hop.

Alea Milham
    Posted 12/20/11

7. Your Pumpkin Bread sounds absolutely scrumptious. Even though we don’t have to eat gluten free in our house, I often use almond flour because it just tastes so good! Thank you for sharing this post with Hearth and Soul and with Let’s Do Brunch.

April Harris
    Posted 12/20/11

8. I am so excited. Another field tested Grain and Dairy free bread. My kids love it when I treat them with some muffins or breakfast breads. Cant wait to try it.

Sarah @NapClan
    Posted 02/23/12

• I hope they enjoy! It’s one of my favorite breads, especially slathered with tons of grass-fed butter! 🙂

Posted 02/24/12

9. This bread looks great!

I also used a ton of pumpkin in my recipes. Just love it.

Thank you for sharing your recipe with us this week on AFW! Be sure to check back next week for reader favorites and hostess picks. Have a great week!

Be Well,
    –AFW Hostesses

Amber
    Posted 03/17/12

10. I am featuring this incredible bread this week on Allergy-Free Wednesdays!

11. I have everything but the pumpkin seeds. Are they critical, and what’re they for?

Anne LaBelle
    Posted 09/06/12

• They are not critical. They are to sprinkle on the top of your loaf before baking. This gives a bit of a crunchy top to the loaf, but it tastes wonderful without them too! 🙂

Posted 09/06/12

• OK! I might sprinkle with my chia seeds instead. I’ve been trying to find ways to use them. Thanks!

Anne
        Posted 09/06/12

12. thank you for this recepie. I made it once few days ago. followed your directions. came out nice, the only issue i was having it was little moist indside. is it becuase i used pumpkin purred from organic Pacific brand? and it also didn’t raise much. of course it was finished in few days despite that 🙂
    today i made another one, the same issue, moist inside and didn’t raise much. I also added two tbs of mesquite flour.
    hope you can advise me on the issue.

liza
    Posted 10/31/12

• Hi Liza – Thanks for stopping by! It could be many things, including the fact that our ingredients might not be the same and we’re at different altitudes. I would say if it is still too moist, cut back the wet ingredients by a little. Maybe use 1/3 cup pumpkin puree and 1/3 cup of coconut oil. The loaf won’t raise really high. When I make it, it only comes up to the top of my pan. It is a denser bread, due to not having the gluten to make it lighter and fluffier. I hope that helps! 🙂

Posted 11/01/12

13. P.S

Meant to type Pumpkin Puree.

liza
    Posted 10/31/12

14. Thank you for replying. I will try your suggestions. it still so delish…i made two time this, and it was gone in two days 🙂

liza
    Posted 11/02/12

• Sure thing! I’m glad to help and happy that you guys enjoy it! I really need to make some this weekend! I love pumpkin season!! 🙂

Posted 11/02/12

15. Do you think Stevia is necessary or would honey work? I’m looking for a reason to not leave the house today for ingredients 🙂
    What about vanilla extract? I was also thinking that if you don’t have pumpkin seeds, a little turbinado sugar would be good sprinkled on top (if you’re not completely sugar-free).

Maria
    Posted 10/06/13

• I think honey would work just fine and no problem omitting the stevia. I think a little sugar sprinkled on top would be delicious! 🙂

Posted 10/06/13

16. This recipe sounds wonderful. I don’t like the taste of stevia. Can I just use an extra tablespoon or so of maple syrup to sweeten it to my taste? Thanks!

Judy
    Posted 11/03/13

• Hi Judy – Yes, that would work fine, but you will not taste the stevia in the recipe with all of the other flavors and spices. Enjoy! 🙂

Posted 11/03/13

17. Hi, Jessica, this looks delicious! I want to verify that by small pan you mean an 8″ x 5″?

Thanks!

Ashley

Ashley
    Posted 12/05/13

• Hi Ashley – yes, you are correct! I need to update the recipe an add that note in! 🙂

Posted 12/11/13

18. I’m wondering if this could be made without a mixer, just using a fork or whisk?

Susan
    Posted 12/22/14

• Hi Susan – I don’t see why not! It may take a little extra stirring, but it should work fine! 🙂

Posted 12/22/14

19. Hi. Can’t wait to try. Since you instruct to cream the eggs and coconut oil together, the oil should be solid, not liquid?

Ms Michelle Grant
    Posted 04/09/15

• Hi Michelle – You could cream them together in either form. I’ve done it both ways and it works well! Hope you enjoy! 🙂

Posted 04/12/15

20. This looks like a great recipe, as we are a gluten and dairy free house. However, we are also a coconut free house, as well. (Stupid allergies lol)
    So, with that being the situation, what would you recommend as a replacement for the coconut flour and oil?
    Thank you.

Tracy purl Sheridan
    Posted 09/19/15

• Hi Tracy – You could use any oil you like for the coconut oil, but switching out the coconut flour is more tricky. I have not tried this recipe with anything other than the coconut flour. You could try using a different gluten-free flour (perhaps rice if you can tolerate), but you may need to use a little more than what is called for above. Nut flours may work too in a larger quantity. I cant’ guarantee the end results though since I haven’t tried it myself. Looks like I need to start baking! 🙂

Posted 09/22/15