Healthy Homemade Nut Butter Cups With Coconut Oil

Homemade nut butter cups recipe with coconut oil // www.deliciousobsessions.com Follow Me on Pinterest

Who doesn’t love peanut butter cups? Ok, Ok. I guess I know a couple people who don’t, but I’d venture say that the mass majority of us love them. They are one of my husband’s favorite candies, and as usual, I had to try to figure out a way to make them healthy! These are made with coconut oil, so they need to stay in the fridge or the freezer, or they will melt into a little puddle of chocolate sauce (but it’s OK if that happens – it tastes good on ice cream!). You could use any nut butter that you like, if you’re not eating peanuts. Sunbutter is especially delicious, but almond, cashew, and walnut butters are also delish (affiliate links)!

PaleoTreats

1. These sound pretty easy to make. Have you tried a different sweetener? I don’t have stevia on hand. I think honey would add too distinctive a flavor, but maybe maple syrup would work?

Barb @ A Life in Balance
    Posted 11/10/11

• Hi Barb! Thanks for stopping by :)

I’ve used both honey and maple syrup before. I haven’t personally noticed any strong taste from either one. Coconut syrup or brown rice syrup would be another option. The stevia really is optional. It won’t be quite as sweet w/out it, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing either! :)

Posted 11/10/11

• I used Agave nectar and it worked great. :-)

Ginnie
        Posted 02/12/12

2. Awesome idea! I gotta try this one out- always looking for treats for my kids that are dairy free, sugar free, and gluten free. Thanks for sharing with the Hearth and Soul blog hop!

Penniless Parenting
    Posted 11/14/11

• Hi there! Thanks for coming by and commenting! They are delish. I’m trying to come up with more healthy candy recipes, so it’s been a fun process! Lots of trial and error! :)

Posted 11/15/11

3. I had trouble commenting earlier in the week. Thank you for sharing this recipe with the Hearth and Soul Hop. I have included it in my candy round up.

Alea Milham
    Posted 11/15/11

• Hi Alea – I’m sorry you were having issues with the comments. Were you having trouble commenting on this post, specifically? I’ll go check it and make sure everything is working fine. Thanks for stopping by and thank you for including it in your candy round up! That is so exciting! :) I look forward to checking out the other recipes!

Posted 11/15/11

4. Wow! These look amazing!

Emma
    Posted 11/27/11

• Thank you! Beware when you make them … they will disappear FAST!!! :)

Posted 11/28/11

5. I’m a little confused by the directions. For clarity:
    I pour chocolate into baking cups 1/4 full.
    Chill peanut butter
    Place 1/2 teaspoon pb on top the chocolate
    Then pour more chocolate on top and freeze?

Sorry if this is redundant, at first I couldn’t tell if the chocolate or peanut butter went into the freezer.

KK
    Posted 12/02/11

• Hi KK – You got it! You want to chill that little layer of chocolate first so that the PB doesn’t sink down to the bottom of the cup. Then you can add the PB and the rest of the chocolate and chill and you’ll have PB Cups! :) Hope that helps! I’ll go see if I can revise the instructions to be a little more clear. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

Posted 12/02/11

6. Thank you for your submission on Nourishing Treasures’ Make Your Own! Monday link-up.

*drool* I have to make these! I love PB cups!

Check back later tonight when the new link-up is running to see if you were one of the top 3 featured posts! :)

7. I’ll be trying these soon w/ almond or sunflower seed butter :-)! Thanks for the tip on the silicone cups.  I bought mini muffin unbleached papers so I’ll see how those work first !

Adrienne @ Whole New Mom
    Posted 12/05/11

8. Hi jessica – what’s the diameter of the mini cups? I found some at World Market but I think they are a little too big..

Adrienne @ Whole New Mom
    Posted 12/10/11

• Hey Adrienne – I got mine at World Market too! I bet they’re the same ones. I don’t have one in front of me right now, but if I had guess, they are about an inch or an inch and a half in diameter.

Posted 12/10/11

9. I love you!! No, seriously, I really LOVE you! I just made these and they are even better than the store-bought originals or even the ones I’ve been buying at the health food store. The best part? I eat lower (not zero) carb for weight loss and health and I know I’ll still lose weight eating these. Thank you!! You’ve made my Valentine’s Day!

Autismomma
    Posted 02/14/12

• HAHAHA! Wow!!! Thank YOU for such kind words!!! :) I am so glad you liked them and they are bringing such joy to your holiday! Your enthusiasm brought a smile to my face :)

Posted 02/14/12

10. What kind of peanut butter do you use for these?

I have been thinking lately that I’d like to duplicate (in a healthy way) the Peanut Butter Goodies cookies from Trader Joe’s. (These have a cookie topped with peanut butter mousse all dipped in chocolate, and topped with chopped peanuts.) I wonder if your recipe could be wrapped around a gluten-refined-sugar-free cookie? My kids love the TJ’s cookies, but I’m trying to get them to eat more healthy foods.

Karen
    Posted 02/21/12

• The PB I use is from my local health food store. They grind it fresh daily. Those TJ cookies sound amazing! I have this recipe: http://www.deliciousobsessions.com/2011/02/chocolate-peanut-butter-cookies-gluten-free/. I wonder if you could take these cookies as the base and then figure out a PB mousse? You could then use the chocolate from the BP cup recipe as the coating? Sounds wonderfully delicious in my head. I might have to go do some ‘sperimenting. :) If you figure something out, let me know how it goes!

Posted 02/21/12

11. Any idea on the nutritional info on the end product? Calories, Fat, etc?

Thanks for the idea.

Jay
    Posted 02/22/12

• Oh boy. I have no idea on that — I’ve never broken it down. It’s going to be pretty high in calories and fat from the coconut oil and peanut butter, but I don’t even know how to guesstimate it. Sorry :(

Posted 02/24/12

12. LOVE this recipe! And I generally steer clear of dessert recipes because I don’t eat sugar or grain.

Thank you so much. :)

Kim
    Posted 03/29/12

• I hope you enjoy! :) You could use all stevia or all xylitol if you wanted a sugar-free version.

Posted 03/29/12

13. Hi there, I made these today and we had to spit them out!! So sad. They were really bitter, I used vanilla extract instead of stevia, could that be why? And maple syrup for the sweetener. My coconut oil changes it’s smell and flavor in the two weeks it takes me to use the jar. It’s the brand NOW. Have you ever tried it? It smells really good when I first open it, but by the end it smells a little off. I even compared the two jars today and it was really noticeable. I’ll buy a different brand and see if it does the same thing…

Connie
    Posted 04/02/12

• I have no idea what would have made them bitter. I’ve never had that happen before. I don’t think it would have been the vanilla extract, but the stevia does add more sweetness to them, so maybe the lack of that did it? Sorry you had a bad experience with them. The only other thing that I can think of is that maybe your cocoa powder was more bitter than mine? Some cocoa powders can been strong and bitter, but like I’ve said, I’ve never had them be so bitter they were inedible.

Posted 04/02/12

14. Hi Jessica, I had a friend send me a conversion chart for stevia, vs sugar. It take a lot of sugar to replace stevia, and I didn’t use any thinking the syrup was sweet enough… Silly me. Anyway, I have some chocolate mixture leftover, so I will play with it and make more. One plus is that now my kids will be afraid to try them, and I’ll get them all to myself! ;). The new jar do EVCO tastes so much better in my coffee this morning, so I think I’ll try a different brand and see if it hold up better. Thank you!

Connie
    Posted 04/03/12

• YAY! I’m glad that you figured out a solution! I was bummed when you had a bad experience, because this is one of my most popular recipes. Whenever I make them, I literally have to hide a separate container for myself, or else hubby will eat ALL of them! :)

Posted 04/03/12

15. I am so happy I found this recipe – it’s wonderful. Thank you

Diane
    Posted 08/07/12

• Thank you for your kind words! I’m glad you enjoyed! :)

Posted 08/07/12

16. i don’t see it anywhere but about how many does this make with the pan you used?

veronica
    Posted 08/09/12

• I used the little individual mini-muffin holders. I believe this made about 12-15.

Posted 08/09/12

17. I think I know the bitterness issue with a previous comment. And I am glad I caught it before making the cups. But the maple syrup (or whatever sweetener you decide to use) seperates from the coconut oil and needs to constantly be wisked or else you may get a mouthful of oil and cocoa powder… Just finished making them and they are in the freezer waiting to harden! Can’t wait!!! Thanks for the awesome recipe!!! I’m crossing my fingers my husband loves them!!! I have a sneaky feeling he will!!

Rosanna
    Posted 09/22/12

18. Ohh Ill have to make these for my hubby. He LOVES peanut butter cups and whines that I wont buy the big bag since all the Halloween candy is out!
    Thanks for sharing on Natural Living Monday!

19. I definitely have a weakness for peanut butter cups! Thanks for sharing at Snacktime Saturday. Hope you’ll be back again :)

Margaux
    Posted 11/01/12

20. how much pb are u suppose to use for the whole recipe?

crystal
    Posted 03/20/13

• Crystal – The amount of PB you need is going to depend on the size of the pan/molds that you are using for the cups. I’ve never really measured it out. When I make a batch, they make about 12 of them, so that is about 6 tsps of peanut butter. But, like I said, it will vary.

Posted 03/21/13