Homemade Magic Shell Ice Cream Topping Recipe With Coconut Oil

Homemade Magic Shell Ice Cream Topping Recipe With Coconut Oil Follow Me on Pinterest

This homemade magic shell ice cream topping recipe is so easy to make and uses coconut oil! My hubby loves Magic Shell, but it’s full of all sorts of nasty stuff, so when I first bought my ice cream maker last February, I thought I would try making my own.

This homemade magic shell ice cream topping recipe uses on a few simple ingredients, including nourishing coconut oil and is a great hit with kids (big and little!). Looking for something to put it on? Check out these recipes:

Delicious Obsessions Trusted Product Recommendations

My affiliate partner, Vitacost, has really good prices on some of the ingredients in this recipe. If you sign up through this link, you’ll get a coupon for $10 off your first purchase from Vitacost, and when your order ships, I’ll get a $10 off coupon for referring you. The cool thing about this program is that you can then refer your family and friends through your own link and YOU can get the $10 coupons too! :)

In addition, my affiliate partner, Tropical Traditions, is where I get all of my coconut products from and if you make a purchase from them through any of my links, you will receive a free copy of their Virgin Coconut Oil book, and I will receive a discount coupon for referring you.

Looking for some more allergy-friendly ice cream recipes? This eBook from my affiliate partner has you covered! Right now, take advantage of the end of summer promo through Sept. 22, 2014 and receive this awesome ebook for only $5.00! Click here to learn more.
The #1 Delicious Treat You Miss When You Follow The Autoimmune Protocol // deliciousobsessions.com Follow Me on Pinterest

1. Okay, so I’m not a fan of vegetable oils…. but the ingredients of my bottle of Smuckers Magic Shell just don’t seem that bad… I mean, it seems downright innocent compared to the ingredients of other things (even organic!!)  Here are the ingredients on my bottle: Sugar, Sunflower oil, Coconut oil, Chocolate (whole milk solids, cocoa processed with alkali, contains less than 2% or less of soy lecithin, salt, vanilla.  Now this is hardly a health food, but I would rather my kids eat this occasionally than a store-bought cupcake.  I’m not a fan of vegetable oils, or anything soy… but a tablespoon of this stuff is plenty (ice cream in our house is a 1/2 cup per serving. period) and I’m okay with it.

Chelsie K
    Posted 07/30/11

• Hi Chelsie – While the ingredients may not be all that horrible in comparison with other things, I just prefer to make my own real food versions of junk food. I avoid sunflower oil and anything with soy in it. In my opinions, the fewer ingredients in something, the better. That’s why I like that I can make magic shell with only a few ingredients that I can control the quality of. Plus, it’s another great way to get more coconut oil in our diet, which is something that I am always trying to do. :) The bottle that I found in the back of the cupboard from years ago had way more ingredients on it than you listed, so they must have changed their recipe. In any case, I still like making my own.

Anonymous
      Posted 08/07/11

2. Also, this was supposed to be Chocolate-Orange?
    Homemade Chocolate Magic Shell Recipe

1 cup coconut oil

1/4 cup high-quality organic cocoa powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/8 – 1/4 cup honey (if you want to go sugar-free, you can eliminate this)

10 drops vanilla stevia

In a double boiler (or sauce pan over low heat), melt all of the
    ingredients together and stir until combined. Serve over your favorite
    ice cream.

Did I miss something?  :)  Thanks in advance for clarifying :)

Chelsie K
    Posted 07/30/11

• Ha! That’s so weird! It was actually supposed to be two different recipes – I have a recipe for orange magic shell, but it didn’t get published and now it’s gone! I’ll have to dig up the original recipe and add that. Hopefully I still have that scrap of paper! Thanks for pointing that out – I have no idea who I glanced over that!

Anonymous
      Posted 08/07/11

3. @Chelsie, no doesn’t sound too bad, but of all the GMO’s, I think GMO sugar beets are probably one good reason to skip it entirely. That’s a simple and quick enough recipe most folks have on hand or can easily obtain. Using Pure Cane sugar or a minimally processed Cane sugar.

Sue Bush
    Posted 07/30/11

• Good point on the GMOs Sue. That was something I didn’t mention. You could even eliminate the sugar completely since it would be going over ice cream that was already sweet.

Anonymous
      Posted 08/07/11

4. Can I omit the vanilla stevia? What purpose does it have? I don’t want to run to the store just for this :)

Jill
    Posted 02/05/12

• You can certainly leave it out. It just adds some extra sweetness without adding more sugar. But, it won’t hurt a bit to leave it out. No need for special trip. :)

Posted 02/05/12

5. I just came across this blog last night and had the idea of my own ingredients for Magic shell ice cream topping. I love the stuff BTW but getting it at the store is not as reasonable or healthy. I’m so glad I found this option. I almost posted last night but wanted to try it out first. I love cocunut oil and have had an unused bucket in my pantry for too long. I’m glad I finally found more ways to use it besides a butter substitute. I also love love love Nutela chocolate and when I came across this recipe I immediately thought of that as an ingredient. As I read through the comments I realized the least ingredients the best right? Well here are only two and it turns out to be great! Just put them both in a small saucepan on low for about a half hour stirring occasionally. It’s so yummy that I’m tempted to have it over and over again. Now I just need to think of other more healthy cold foods to put this miracle food on, he he he!

Chandra
    Posted 02/13/12

• Yum! Nothing like ice cream and magic shell! So glad you enjoyed. There are all sorts of ways to sneak CO into different foods. The sky’s the limit! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!! :)

Posted 02/13/12

6. i love magic shell, more than i should!! how do you store this? in the pantry as well?

angie
    Posted 02/27/12

• Yeah. That’s usually where I keep it. It doesn’t last long enough to go bad! ;)

Posted 02/29/12

7. Does this harden on top of the ice cream like magic shell?

Stephanie
    Posted 02/29/12

8. Are there any suggested replacements for the vanilla stevia?

Ilissa
    Posted 04/29/12

• Hi there – Sorry for the slow response :( You can leave the vanilla stevia out if you’d like. It won’t be quite as sweet, which is OK. Or, you could add in a little honey if you wanted to make it a little sweeter. Hope that helps! :)

Posted 05/01/12

9. hi,
    How long does it keep for? and where – cupboard or fridge?

cheers

natalie
    Posted 05/03/12

• Natalie – It should keep for quite awhile, especially if you keep it in the fridge. It never lasts more than a week or two in our house whenever I make it. If you keep it in the fridge, you’ll just need to warm it in some warm water so the CO will melt! :)

Posted 05/05/12

10. Have you ever used karob powder in place of the cocoa powder

Dale
    Posted 05/31/12

• I have not, but I think it would be just as tasty!! :)

Posted 05/31/12

11. I love this idea!! I hope it’s okay I included it in a round up about 60 ways to use coconut oil. If you’d like me to take it down, just let me know (but we’ve gotten a lot of traffic on it so far, so hopefully you’ll get some of that, too :)

Katie Clark
    Posted 05/09/13

• Great post Katie! Thank you for including mine! :)

Posted 05/09/13

12. I have always been a foodie…love to eat, love to cook, I have now become a real foodie…just cause I don’t want to eat all those chemicals…I discovered making banana “ice cream” Love it! Fantastic! Then I found a chia Banana ice cream…even more Fantastic! I made this magic shell and put it on my Chia banana ice cream….I can’t think of any dessert that tastes better….then I got to thinking, strawberries…hmm ice tray, magic shell….looking forward to some frozen chocolate covered strawberries…this is my new go to for when I need sweet… Thanks so much!!

Gwen Lawton
    Posted 06/05/13

• Wow! You made me hungry! All that ice cream sounds delicious! So glad you stopped by! :)

Posted 06/06/13

13. Yeah I spelled that wrong should be Chai

Gwen Lawton
    Posted 06/05/13

14. I just made this for the first time tonight and it tastes great, but the ingredients did not incorporate together? It seems like the honey did not blend with the coconut oil for some reason, even when I tried to wisk it together. Any ideas? The honey was partly crystalized, but I shouldn’t have thought that would make a difference?

Thanks!

Kathy
    Posted 02/22/14

• Hi Kathy – Thanks for stopping by! You know, I’ve had a few people mention that they have had a hard time getting the honey to incorporate. I whisk vigorous and it does combine, so I am wondering if it’s just the difference in ingredients, or maybe I am heating it up more. I am in the process of re-working the recipe, but in the interim, I have found that throwing it all in the blender, or using an immersion blender, works really well too. I will have my updated version of this recipe live soon! :)

Posted 02/24/14

15. Does it taste like coconut? Thanks in advance :-)

April
    Posted 06/27/14

• Hi April – Not really. The cocoa is strong enough to cover any coconut taste from the virgin coconut oil. You could always use refined coconut oil if you prefer and there would be absolutely no coconut taste or scent. Cheers!

Posted 06/29/14