Tonight, when I got home from yoga, I was craving two things: a smoothie and an avocado. So, I decided to combine the two.
It turned out amazingly delicious.
This was the first time I had ever included an avocado in my smoothie and I was a little worried at first. I don’t know why though — the avocado was amazing. It makes the smoothie so rich and creamy and smooth.
This smoothie is so full of good fats that it will keep you satiated for hours. I now add avocado to almost every smoothie I make for an extra boost of fat. I also pretty much always include a dollop of coconut oil too.
I’m going to share the basic recipe with you and then suggest some additional options for the smoothie. Like all smoothies, you really can tailor this to suit your own tastes and whatever you have on hand!
Delicious Obsessions Product Recommendations
My affiliate partner, Vitacost, has really good prices on some of the ingredients in this recipe. If you sign up through this link, you’ll get a coupon for $10 off your first purchase from Vitacost, and when your order ships, I’ll get a $10 off coupon for referring you. The cool thing about this program is that you can then refer your family and friends through your own link and YOU can get the $10 coupons too!
In addition, my affiliate partner, Tropical Traditions, is where I get all of my coconut products from and if you make a purchase from them through any of my links, you will receive a free copy of their Virgin Coconut Oil book, and I will receive a discount coupon for referring you.
Quick Note On Gelatin Types: When it comes to gelatin, you don’t want any old gelatin off the supermarket shelves. You want to look for 100% grass-fed gelatin from healthy animals. That is why I recommend Vital Proteins Grass-Fed Gelatin products and Perfect Supplements products exclusively. I have compared these brand with other brands on the market and the quality far surpasses anything else I’ve tried. I am thrilled to be one of their affiliate partners and support such great products and companies.
Perfect Supplements offers a grass-fed hydrolyzed collagen (cold-soluble) right now and has a gelatin (hot-soluble) in the works for 2016. Read my review of their product here or watch the video below.
If you want to learn more about gelatin and its benefits for our health, I highly recommend this book, The Gelatin Secret: The Surprising Superfood That Transforms Your Health and Beauty, from my affiliate partner, Sylvie McCracken. This book is packed with incredible information on how gelatin helps all aspects of our health and also features delicious recipes!
Shout out to my friend Suzanne from Strands of My Life for shooting the photo for this recipe!
P.S. I absolutely LOVE my Blendtec blender. Read my Blendtec vs. Vitamix comparison here.
If you decide to order a Blendtec, you can save some more money when you place your order through my affiliate link here. When you place your order through this link, you will receive free shipping anywhere in the U.S. and Canada with your order. This will save you a minimum of $15!
In addition to free shipping, through December 1st you can receive an additional $30 off the already low prices on the refurbished blenders! Click here or the image below to learn more. Been wanting one? Now is your time to pounce!
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- ½ cup coconut water (Taste Nirvana is may favorite)
- 1 large handful greens (spinach, lettuce, chard, etc.)
- 2-4 sprigs parsley (stem and all)
- 1 tbsp. cold-soluble grass-fed gelatin (see note above)
- 5-10 drops stevia (or, you can omit if you're going completely sweet-free)
- In a high-powered blender (I LOVE my Blendtec), combine avocado, coconut milk tonic, and coconut water until smooth.
- Add the greens, parsley, and stevia and blend.
- Slowly sprinkle the gelatin powder into the blender with it running. This will help it blend in w/out becoming lumpy.
- Add ice until you reach the desired consistency.
- This would also taste great with fresh or frozen fruit added in like berries, pineapple, or strawberries. The smoothie is rich and creamy and gives you another couple servings of veggies and good fats, something we can all use.