Simple Sugar Body Scrub Recipe

Delicious Obsessions: Simple Sugar Body Scrub Recipe | www.deliciousobsessions.com Follow Me on Pinterest

This simple sugar body scrub recipe is one of my favorite things to make. I always have a jar of it in my shower and use it almost daily. The recipe is so simple and only takes a couple minutes to whip up. You can easily double, triple, etc., this recipe, but I like to make small batches so is stays fresh. I noticed one time that I made too big of a batch and didn’t use it all up in time and the jar in the shower started to get some mold in it.* So, I stick with small batches that only take me a couple weeks to use.

Also, you can make the same scrub using salt instead of sugar, but it’s important to understand that for some people, salt scrubs can be very drying to the skin. If you’re like me and suffer from dry skin, then it’s better to skip the salt and use sugar instead.

I have linked to the products from my affiliate partners that I personally recommend.

1/2 cup turbinado sugar

1/4 cup coconut oil

1/4 cup sweet almond oil

5-10 drops of essential oil, optional (I really like using vanilla and peppermint - I buy from Tropical Traditions or Vitacost).

Mix the sugar and oils together and transfer to a container with a tight sealing lid. Use in the shower to exfoliate dry, itchy skin. I use mine almost daily and have never had any problems. The oil seals in the moisture on your skin and makes it feel silky smooth.

(Make sure you wipe down the shower floor with some soap and water after you use it — oily floors and showers don’t mix well!)

*The reason this can sometimes get mold in it is because every time you stick your hand in the jar to get some out, you leave bacteria behind. Showers are dirty places, even when they’re clean, so there is lots of bacteria floating around. It’s not cause to worry – just a sign that you should make smaller batches so that you use it up before the bacteria count has a chance to multiply.

Make sure you check out my newest Coconut Oil Sugar Scrub post for some new recipe ideas!

This post is part of Simple Lives Thursday #34!

Vitacost.com

1. Nice! I will mix up a batch. The mold is usually caused by bacteria introduced when you put your hand in the jar. If you can use a squeeze container, you will reduce the likelihood of mold.

Anne
    Posted 11/26/10

• Yeah – The shower is not necessarily the cleanest place in the world, despite what we like to think! I knew the mold came from the bacteria on my hands. Not sure if a squeeze container would work. The sugar stays really course in mine … I’ll have to give it a try. Let me know how you like it!

Posted 11/27/10

2. Making Sugar scrubs are one of my favorite frugal indulgences. My current favorite has brown sugar and vanilla. It smells like Kahlua!

Lazy Budget Chef
    Posted 03/15/11

• Yum! They are so simple to make and you can control the ingredients, which is nice! The amount of chemicals in our body products is crazy, so I am trying to move away from that and make my own stuff! I also love the brown sugar and vanilla combo. As a matter of fact, I love anything vanilla! :) Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

Posted 03/15/11

• When I use salt for scrub I never get any mold. Is sugar more prone to mold? I love shower scrub so much. I use it all the time and am always looking for new combinations!

claire
        Posted 03/23/11

• Hi Claire – thanks for stopping by! It’s not the sugar that is prone to mold, it’s the amount of bacteria that gets into the container when you use it. Showers are notoriously dirty, even when they’re clean, so each time you stick your hand in there to scoop some out, it leaves some bacteria behind. The reason this batch molded is because I made WAY too much of it at one time and had too big of a jar in the shower. I now make small batches that I am able to use up in a week or two without any problems at all. Hope that helps :)

Posted 03/23/11

3. I use RealSalt, rather than sugar, and I’ve never had it develop mold.

Thia
    Posted 02/10/12

• Yes, the salt would definitely help preserve the product longer. However, salt scrubs can be very drying to some people’s skin, so people who suffer from dry skin might not want to use salt. Sugar scrubs don’t dry the skin out as much as salt scrubs do. As a matter of fact, I’ll go update that post with that in there, so people can understand the difference. Thanks for stopping by!

Posted 02/10/12

4. my coconut oil is a solid. do you just heat to get it to mix with this stuff? does it re-solidify?? thanks!

april
    Posted 05/10/12

• Hi April – The melting point for CO is around 76 degrees. So, during the summer, it will probably turn to liquid, depending on the temperature of your house. To liquefy it, you can just let it sit in a bowl of warm/hot water for a few minutes.

Posted 05/10/12

5. ahhhhh! thanks so much!

april
    Posted 05/11/12

6. Put honey in the scrub with salt AND sugar. Honey is a natural antibacterial and anti fungal agent so it prohibits the growth of mold, and it’s great for the skin!

Erin
    Posted 05/21/12

7. Could one use Sugar in the Raw instead of the turinado sugar? Or is it the same thing?

Lisa
    Posted 06/18/12

8. Hi there!
    I see a lot of post everywhere on wonderful scrubs made from Coconut Oil but none say where to buy it from…where can I purchase this oil?
    Thanks!
    Chloe

Chloe
    Posted 08/01/12

9. I make this as well, however I also grind up oatmeal (NOT THE INSTANT) into a flour consistency, mix that in as well as some sea salt. I keep my container out of the shower. and before a shower I get a smaller container and pour what I need into it that way no mold gets in there. you can add which I also do is castile peppermint soap. along with a few drops of peppermint E.O. great stuff.

Stephanie
    Posted 10/31/13

• Thanks for sharing the tips! Those are some great ideas! :)

Posted 10/31/13